When you think of camping with kids, most think of hiking and backpacking through the woods until you reach a nice place to set up camp. For those who wish to not include the backpacking or hiking there’s a new trend called car camping. Car camping is the same as camping but without the hiking, you simply drive to the campground, park and camp as normal.
Cruelty-Free Car Camping Guide
There are plenty of options for tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, chairs, and other camping gear. And you’ll need to consider your group size, how long you’ll be camping, the time of year, and your expected level of comfort when deciding which gear is right for you. But the main consideration for a cruelty-free camping trip is the materials used to construct that gear. Look out for down and other animal-derived products, and seek out recycled materials when possible.
Down sleeping bags have historically been the main offender. Fortunately, it’s now really easy to find high-quality sleeping bags made from synthetic materials (instead of down). Most major retailers, from REI to Target, now carry vegan-friendly sleeping bags.
Looking for an eco-friendly AND vegan bag? Check out Slumberjack Latitude 0 Degree line ! These awesome bags are made from 80 percent post-consumer products.
Big Agnes makes several sleeping pads constructed with at least 50 percent recycled materials.
Also be sure to check online (e.g. eBay or Craigslist) for pre-owned tents and other camping gear. It’s a great form of recycling, and you can definitely save some money!
With car camping, camping with kids becomes safer and easier. Your family can still enjoy the great outdoors and all it has to offer, only instead of a 2 miles hike, its a 2 mile drive, then its camping as usual.
←More from Camping With Kids
- 5 Must Have Apps For Camping: Apps for camping have completely revolutionized the camping experience. Anything from using a cell phone to keep masquitoes away to
- 20 Camping Recipes To Spice Up Your Trip: Simple camping recipes can go a long way when in the wilderness, or even in your back yard. These simple
- 5 Tips To Make It Through Your FIrst Time Camping With Kids: Camping with kids can be an overwhelming task if it’s your first time. The concerns for safety, fun, preparation, ect.
- 10 Great Tips For Camping With Kids: Camping with your kids can be just as enjoyable as any other family activity and just as safe. Any parent
- Backyard Camping With Your Kids: Camping with kids can be a fun family outing, but, it does take some preparation and know-how. Plus the wilderness